“For even as the body is one and yet has many members, and all the members of the body, though they are many, are one body, so also is Christ.”
God has designed the church to be made up of many people with many different gifts, and we need each other to accomplish the mission God has for New Life. The world’s definition of “membership” is self focused, while the Biblical view of membership is God and others focused.
Biblical Membership Principles:
- I will be a functioning church member – “Now you are the body of Christ, and individual members of it. And God has placed these in the Church.” (1 Corinthians 12:27-28)
- I will be a unifying church member – “Walk worthy of the calling you have received, with all patience, accepting one another in love, diligently keeping the Unity of the Spirit.” (Ephesians 4:1-3)
- I will not let church be about my preferences and desires – “Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Have this attitude which was also in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 2:4-5)
- I will pray for my church leaders – For our pastor, staff and other church leaders; Protection for them and their families; For their physical and mental health.
- I will lead my family to be healthy church members - Pray together as a family for your church; Worship together as a family; Model what it means to fall deeply in love with the “Bride of Christ” (the Church).
- I will treasure church membership as a gift – “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9)
From I Am A Church Member by Thom Rainer.
If you'd like to pursue becoming a member at New Life, we'd welcome you to click here to submit some information to help us get the process started!